Attention all quilters (of all nationalities) whose heart and soul belongs to Thailand. You are invited to enter the Soul Siam Quilt Contest and express your Thai identity in quilting. The grand prize is a Janome 8900 QCP sewing machine valued at 120,000 baht, a trip to a quilt show in Japan and 50,000 baht cash! Send in a registration form by Feb 28th, 2014 then finish your quilt by June 16th, 2014.
- Entries must reflect a theme of “Thai identity” expressed in a wall hanging made of cloth using quilting and stitching, at least 60% made by sewing machine, and falling into one of these two categories:
- A: finished size 150 x 150 cm (59 x 59 inches) including borders, or 150 x 180 cm (59 x 70 inches) including borders
- B: 15 x 15 inch mini quilt (including borders no larger than 1½ inches)
- Open to students and others, any age, male, female, any nationality. You may send one quilt in each category.
- Deadline June 16, 2014
- 15 finalists in each category will be announced on June 18, 2014 by SMS and also on Sewing Lovers Club Facebook page. The winner will be announced on June 20, 2014.
- Selected quilts will be displayed in the Thailand Great Quilt Festival 2014-The Asian Showcase at Siam Paragon from July 30 – August 3, 2014.
For more information contact Wien Co.,Ltd. (Janome sewing machine division), all Sewing Lovers Clubs counters, and the Janome and Elna sewing sections at your local department store branches.
2 page registration form pdf
Sewing Lovers Clubs counters can be found at Central Chidlom 5th floor, Central Chaeng Wattana 6th floor, Robinson’s, Paragon 4th floor, and more – look for the Janome and Elna sewing machine displays at all major department stores.
Please apply by sending a completed application form, with a copy of your passport or Thai ID card, postmarked by February 28, 2014 to:
Soul Siam Quilt Contest
Wien International Co., Ltd. (Division 2)
493 Nanglinchee Road
Chongnoncee, Yannawa, Bangkok 10120
For more information please call 02-285-2912 ext 124, 125 or 085-487-0496
Required for quilts in both categories: A description of why your quilt reflects your Thai identity, not more than 1 page A4 paper, including your name, address, mobile phone, and email address. Please send to above address of Wien International Co., Ltd. postmarked by June 16, 2014.
Category A: finished size 150 x 150 cm or 150 x 180 cm
- 1st Prize: Janome Horizon 8900 QCP sewing machine, perfect for quilting – valued at 120,000 baht, and air travel vacation package to see a quilt show in Japan for one person, and 50,000 baht cash for a total value prize package of 230,000 baht
- 2nd Prize: Janome Computerized Sewing Machine valued at 50,000 baht, and 30,000 baht cash, for a total value prize package of 80,000 baht
- 3rd Prize: Janome Computerized Sewing Machine valued at 35,000 baht, and 20,000 baht cash, for a total value prize package of 55,000 baht
- Runner ups: Janome Honey Bee sewing machine valued at 20,000 baht, and 5,000 baht cash for a total value prize package of 25,000 baht
Category B: 15 x 15 inch mini quilt
- First prize: Janome Computerized Sewing Machine valued at 40,000 baht, Gift Voucher 10,000 baht, for a total value prize package of 50,000 baht
- Honorable mention: Janome Sewing Machine valued at 10,000 baht, Gift Voucher 5,000 baht, total value of 4 prizes is 60,000 baht
You will be liable for tax of 5% on the total value of your prize.
Now for the first time ever in Bangkok, there are 30 available seats in a new program from the International Quilting Instructor Association (I.Q.I.A). After completing the course, you will receive a certificate stating that you are a pro quilter certified by I.Q.I.A.
Two famous quilt instructors from Japan have arrived in Thailand to teach the course: Noriko Nozawa and Kayoko Ozono. You’ll start with an introductory 16 hour course to learn machine quilting, on a JANOME Horizon 8900 QCP.
Next, take the 32 hour Basic course taught by Noriko Nozawa. Learn the latest machine quilting techniques. Explore the many sewing machine functions that apply to machine quilting. After that, continue on to the Advanced course with 48 exciting hours of class time, taught by Kayoko Ozono. Build your skills and learn to professionally machine quilt. Completing this class certifies you as a Machine Quilting Instructor.
Applications accepted now until November 15, 2013. Apply and make your payment by October 31 and you will receive a gift voucher worth 5,000 baht good for fabric and kits from JANOME.
Location: JANOME Machine Quilting School headquarters on Soi 64 of Rama 3, Chong Nonsi, Bangkok.
Tel: 02-285-2912-15 ext 128, 129.
- Wien International Co., Ltd.
The way to get to Sampeng Lane by public transport is to take the MRT Metropolitan Rapid Transit
(subway) to the Hua Lampong Station. Walk out exit 4. Straight ahead you will see bus 40 waiting there usually. It takes you to Sampeng for only 8 baht. Have fun seeing the sights and sounds of Chinatown!
Noriko Nozawa from Japan will teach two quilt classes. We have enjoyed Noriko’s classes before. She is a wonderful teacher and the classes are lots of fun. Portrait quilts are her signature style.
Saturday 27 April 2013 at 10.00 – 17.00 Collage Bag of a Nostalgic Woman: bags retro style. Fee 3,750 Baht. Techniques will include making a bag using the retro spring clasp, making a collage quilt, and free motion quilting. Size of the finished project is 32 x 34 cm.
Sunday 28 April 2013 at 10.00 – 17.00 Rose Arts Quilt Tapestry. Fee 3,650 baht. You will learn shadow applique using tulle, and free motion quilting. The finished project is 32 x 34 cm.
Enroll in both courses for the special price of 6,800 baht!!!!
Venue: Sewing Lovers Club Showroom (Rama 3 Soi 64)
- Wien International Co., Ltd.: 02-285-2912-15 ext 124 125, fax 02-285-2917
- K-Line Logistics (Thailand) Co., Ltd.: 02-267-0786-74 Fax 02-236-7077,02-236-3002
- Sewing Lovers Club
- Sewing Lovers Club Thai on Facebook
- KLL Quilt Tours on Facebook
I’m happy to tell you that Rosie Chan is back from Singapore for two exciting workshops in Bangkok. Rosie Chan is a very popular teacher among expats and local quilters alike! Sign up for one or both, and have fun…
Gyorin Bag Workshop Create interesting textures for your quilts. Learn a nice and neat way to make soft bag handles. These fabulous new techniques are taught by Rosie Chan, a lovely Singaporean teacher well known in transforming complicated sewing work into easy techniques. Gyorin Bag Workshop on Saturday March 16, 9:30 to 17:00 at the Pietra Hotel (Ratchadapisek), limited to 25 participants.
- members means you bring your own Bernina machine, otherwise a machine will be supplied
Register for the Gyorin Workshop, get 20% discount for Heirloom workshop!
Heirloom Bag Workshop Learn a collection of needlework techniques in fine French style using linen, lace, ribbon, and smocking – which can be applied nicely to costumes, quilts, and home decorations such as napkins, tissue covers, fine curtains, etc. Whether you are a quilter, hobby sewer, dressmaker or even a beginning sewer, this is a really useful workshop for all sewing machine users. Heirloom Workshop on Sunday March 17, 9:30 to 17:00 at Blue Sport Co. Ltd, 169/48-49 Pradipat Road, Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok.
Booking: Please transfer the fees for the workshops to Kasikorn Bank, Pradipat branch, acct name Wichuda Thunyawisetsilp, acct # 016-2-74001-6
Then please call 0-2270-0029 or 0-2270-0030 or 081-894 7309
Please fax the Pay-in slip to 02-279-0030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more info Tel 081 559 1553
- For more info Tel 081 487 5887
- fax 02 279 0030
- email email@example.com