Bernina is sponsoring workshops by popular quilt teacher Libby Lehman. Libby Lehman is famous for her stunning quilt techniques and for teaching at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. She is the author of “Threadplay”, a best seller. She will teach 2 days, 2 techniques:
- Threadplay – Friday August 17, at Bernina Pradipat (see address and phone below). Learn to free motion quilt for stunning effects. Also learn to use ribbon, draw with thread, and potluck appliqué. 3890 baht (3580 if you bring your Bernina machine), 10:00 to 16:00 includes lunch
- Super Machine Stitching – Saturday August 18, at Bernina Pradipat (see address and phone below). Learn various designs of free motion quilting, learn to use various sewing machine needles, and create a unique design on fabric. 3890 baht (3580 if you bring your Bernina machine), 10:00 to 16:00 includes lunch
- Blue Sport headquarters
169/48-49 Pradipat Rd, Samsennai
- Bernina at Siam Paragon
Floor 4, zone Exotique Thai
Tel. 0-2690-1000 ext 1892 , 086-7937367,086-9667616
- Bernina at Central Bangna
Floor 4 electronics zone, near escalator
- Bernina at The Mall Bangkapi
Floor 3 Housewares
Tel. 0-2173-1000 ext 595, 084-8546130,
- Bernina at Emporium
Floor 4 near the glass elevator, in front of Fuji Restaurant
- Bernina at The Mall Ramkhamhaeng 2
Floor 3 Housewares
Tel. 0-2310-1200 ext 1264, 089-7852498
- Bernina at Tang Hua Seng – Thonburi branch
Floor 3 Bernina booth in the Sewing and Crafts department
- Paradise Park, formerly known as Seri Center
Srinakarin Rd, Prawet District, Bangkok
Floor 3 near restaurant zone
Tel. 0-2787-1000 ext 8326 , 082-5487985
Pahurat is the Indian fabric market near Sampeng Lane in Bangkok. You have to find the escalator and that’s how you know it’s the upstairs Pahurat market. The shops sell denim, corduroy, velour, canvas, cotton, and gauze. Once in a while we find novelty cottons or other great fabric for quilting. Adela recommends exploring the ground floor of Pahurat for fashionable dresses. They have some very nice evening dresses in shops on the ground floor of Pahurat.
Here is the place to get plain hair clips, hair bands, earrings, and rings. They have tons of decorations to make your own hair accessories, also decorations for clothes, shoes, and purses, and supplies to make nylon flowers. It’s near the Ratchawong Pier in Chinatown, Bangkok. Hours are 6:00 am to 4:00 pm daily. Except for half day on Sunday. They also have a branch at Pratunam on Soi Petchaburi 19. It looks really nice.
Kathy Nakajima was born on the island of Maui, Hawaii. She is a popular quilter in Japan, a TV personality and author of many quilt books and DVDs. And now she’s coming to Thailand to teach the art of Hawaiian Quilting! Learn how to translate the vivid colors of nature into a Hawaiian quilt with Kathy.
Learn all the latest Hawaiian Quilting techniques including how to choose color combinations, accurately cut fabric, applique, and quilt! All the accessories you need to make Hawaiian Quilts will be available for sale at the Saha Group Export & Trade Exhibition 2012 from June 28 to July 1 at Queen Sirikit Convention Center. Hours 10:00 to 22:00. Sewing machine sale! Go to the Janome booth to get a good deal on a sewing machine.
The Hawaiian Quilt Workshop takes place in Boardroom 4 and is a one-day workshop on either
- Saturday 30 June 2012 10.00 – 17.00
- Sunday 1 July 2012 10.00 – 17.00
Roy Raan means The 100 Shop in Thai, and this is due to the address being 100 Sampeng Lane! This shop sells wholesale costumes and accessories including hats, cowboy hats, feather hairbands, bows, clips, plastic tiaras, combs, wigs, hair ribbons, false teeth, fake beards, hula skirts and fishnets for kids. Costumes include dinosaur, giraffe, tiger and Aladdin. Costumes and accessories for Halloween, Christmas etc. They have a lot of hair accessories, like clips, bands and tiaras. It’s similar to all the stuff in the Oriental Trading Company catalog.
There is a quilt contest in Thailand! It’s sponsored by Elna-Janome and the prizes are Janome sewing machines and cash totaling over 350,000 baht. The poster advises us to “Get the green back. Turn over a new leaf for the world. Show the power of nature through threads of cloth and needlework, for a better tomorrow. Calling all quilt lovers, enter the contest and win cash and Janome sewing machines.”
The rules are:
- finished quilt including borders not bigger than 100 x 100 cm (100 cm = 39.4 inches)
- theme: “eco quilt for the environment”
- any method, fabric, techniques allowed
- hand or machine quilting
Send in your quilt by June 15th, to Wien Co.,Ltd., all Sewing Lovers Clubs counters, and Elna and Janome department store branches. Prizes will be announced on June 29 at the SAHA Fair, Queen Sirikit convention center.
Anyone can enter worldwide. What are your ideas for an eco-quilt?